1. I Will Lead By Example Through:
- Encouraging good sportsmanship and positive support for all coaches, players, opponents, opposing fans, and umpires at every game, practice, or other GBL sporting event.
- I understand the importance of setting a good example for my child as children are influenced by those surrounding them.
2. I Will Act Responsibly And Do My Best To Assure That:
- My child gets to practice and games on time. I understand that my child needs to be on time to assure adequate warm-up and that arriving late can be embarrassing for my child.
- I will assure my child is picked up from all games and practices on time. By doing this, I send a message to my child that he/she is my top priority as well as showing respect for the coach.
- I place the emotional and physical well being of my child ahead of a win at all cost attitude. I will help to create an environment that builds a culture where winning is not defined by outcome of competition, but by the individual needs of the children.
- I understand that children are born with different abilities, and that it is not important how my child compares to others, but that he/she is given the opportunity to display their personal best.
- My child has a positive and fun youth baseball experience. I understand and will remember that the game is for the players, not the adults, and will keep that in perspective.
- I help my child maintain his/her focus on the game by not visiting or approaching the dugout unless asked to do so by the coaches or to offer immediate praise for my child’s accomplishments.
- I demand a sports environment that is free from tobacco and refrain from its use at all youth baseball events. I understand that every child deserves to play in a healthy and safe environment.
3. I Will Display Appropriate Behaviour At All Times.
I understand that violations of the following codes will jeopardize my privilege to attend all GBL sports activities and may result in the league denying my players registration request for the following year(s):
- I will treat each coach, player, opponent, opposing fan, umpire or GBL administrator with respect and dignity (Whether it be in person, on the phone or via email) and will refrain from making accusations, negative comments, using profanity, intimidation tactics, and/or inappropriate language (especially in the presence of children). I understand that by voicing negative comments, I can poorly impact my child’s motivation and also the overall experience of everyone associated with the GBL.
- I will not tell the coaches how to coach nor criticize coaches or players, and will discuss any problems or concerns privately with coaches or parent reps at an agreed upon time and date.
4. Terminal Behaviour.
I understand that violations of the following codes will result in immediate dismissal of my privilege to attend all GBL sports activities and may result in the league denying my players registration request for the following year(s):
- I will demand a sports environment that is free from drugs and alcohol, and refraining from their use at all youth sporting events. I understand that every child deserves to play in a healthy and safe environment.
- I will refrain from initiating or participating in any form of verbal or physical assault toward any coach, player, opposing fan, umpire or GBL administration.
Violations of the Parent Code of Conduct will result in written documentation, advisory consultation and possible disciplinary action. The following data outlines the disciplinary procedures of the Grimsby Baseball League:
Conduct Codes 1 and 2
- Any violation under Codes I and II will result in verbal consultation by the Head Coach.
- Additional violations under Code I and II will result in a sit-down consultation between the GBL Board and the parent.
Conduct Code 3
- Any violation under Code III may result in a consultation between the GBL Board and the parent. Suspension* from attending GBL youth baseball programs (House league or Rep) for the duration of the season may be applied. An appeal to the board to be approved for future registration years may be required.
- A second violation under Code III will result in termination of that parent’s privilege to attend GBL youth baseball programs (House league or Rep) for the duration of the season. These types of conduct violations may jeopardize their child’s ongoing participation in GBL Baseball programs moving forward.
Conduct Code 4
- Any violation under Code IV will result in termination* of that parent’s privilege to attend GBL youth baseball programs (House league and Rep).
- *Parents once suspended or terminated from GBL youth baseball programs are not able to attend ANY games or practices that ANY GBL team participates in. Failure to comply by the parent/guardian WILL jeopardize their child’s ongoing participation in GBL baseball programs immediately. An appeal to the board to be approved for registration in future years will be required.